Friday, January 23, 2009

A long time coming

I sit here tonight, the house is quiet, Kyndal is a sleep, Kristin is napping and I am exhausted. The project that would never end finally went into production today. I had many, many days when I thought this day would neve come. I thought several times that this one would get cancelled. If you have never been through it, I can not really describe it to you. My team has been working on this project for 15 months. It has been exciting, frustrating, exhausting and rewarding all at the same time. In that time span I had two full time team members and a contractor quit, and I had to fire another contractor. It has been quite learning experience. I am not sure I knew what I signed up for when I took this job.

All that out of the way, it feels goods to sit here tonight and say that almost everything went perfectly. Two small glitches that were fixed in about 30 minutes and the performance could be better, but overall, I would call it a success. I feel a sense of accomplishment to have it done. I have to admit though that I wanted someone to be excited today and everyone just kind of seemed subdued and ho-hum about it all. I felt like we should celebrate. I even felt like we should celebrate when I got home tonight but to be honest I was too tired. Now I understand why the two bosses I had before me decided it was too stressful.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my job most of the time and I think I am good at it. I am sure others would argue that point, but most days it is pretty satisfying. The big drawback is that I lose out on a lot of time with Kristin and Kyndal and with our extended family. I miss all of you and I hope we can spend more time with all of you this year. Thanks to everyone for understanding that when I have had to say I have to work this weekend, I have really meant it.

Now, I have to say a special thanks to my wife. She has been great through all of this. over the past year, she has taken great care of Kyndal (mostly on her own) and great care of me. Most of all she has been very understanding of my overtime and the extra time I have put in at home. It helps that she has done this before and she understands what it is like, but I am thankful for her patience and understanding.

Anyway, if you have read to this point, thanks for reading and I apologize if I bored you, but I wanted to share.

I love each and every one of you who may read this!

Now off to bed........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Son, I am so proud of you. I know what it is like to work many hours overtime to make an IT project work the way you expect and then the appreciation isn't all there. But, if you know that what you and your team has done is exceptional is what matters. It is also to your benefit that you have a wife who supports you and who you can count on to do what it takes to help you through tough times. I am glad that you have such a person in your life. As your father, I couldn't ask much more for your happiness. Now you, Kristin and Kyndal can be proud of what you have accomplished. There will be more challenges in your career, but the support of your family will be the most important ingredient in your success. I love and miss you very much.
Dad